following a bunch of chefs on twitter only results in one thing: me wanting to make a bunch of food.
andrew zimmern (renowned travel channel chef AND minnesotan) posted his blueberry pie.
OKAY. I’LL MAKE YOUR PIE, AZ.
i used my own pie crust recipe, which is below. it’s the same one my mom used for pumpkin pies while i was growning up, except instead of crisco (transfats central), i use butter and sometimes lard if i have it. i also add a quarter cup of sugar for pies.
a couple notes on crust making: keep that butter cold. i’ve tried making it in a food processor, and nothing beats just getting in there with your hands.
cover up that bad boy and throw it in the fridge while you do the rest of your pie making. crust is easier to handle if it’s chilled.
the recipe calls for 5 cups of blueberries, but i used SIX. such a rebel.
it also calls for cardamom, which i actually had. i did have to grind it up though, which is easily done in a coffee grinder. not just for coffee! use it for grinding spices AND your poppyseed. it also called for orange zest. this should be tasty! i did add some nutmeg too, which AZ did NOT call for. i hope it turns out ok.
time for the crust! let me tell you, the best thing i did was get a dough scraper. that thing is the bomb for helping roll out pie crusts.
throw in those blueberries. 6 cups certainly fit.
lattices look like a huge pain, but they’re just a little tedious. pro-tip: after rolling out your dough, use a pizza cutter to cut the strips. this is also helpful for cutting all different kinds of dough. no sticking, no jagged edges.
and in the oven to cook! AZ’s pie had this fancy edging, but i cheated and just used a fork to tamp everything down.
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c. fat (butter, lard, crisco)
- 1/4 c. sugar
- Cold water til dough comes together (1/4-1/3 c.)
- 6 c. blueberries (3 pints)
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- Mix flour and salt together. Add cubed, cold butter chunks or other fat. Use fingers to mix and crumble together. Add water gradually until dough comes together. Bring dough together and cover - you can flatten it in a disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap or just cover the dough ball. Put in fridge while you deal with the berries.
- Mix the cornstarch, cardamom, sugar, salt, orange zest, and optional nutmeg together. Add to blueberries in a large bowl and mix it all together. Set aside and grab the dough.
- Set your oven: 400º
- grease your pie plate. cut the dough in half and roll out half on a floured surface, flipping at first to make sure it doesn't stick. put it in the plate. throw those berries in. roll the rest of the dough out and cut off the jagged edges with your pizza cutter. cut into strips - 10-12 at least. lattice the strips by laying strips one way across the pie, then pulling them back alternating to insert the strips the opposite way. cut off the excess dough and make sure edges are all cohesive by using a fork on the edges or other method. time for the oven!
- bake at 400º for 30 mins, the drop temp to 350º for another 45-60 minutes til filling is thickened and bubbly.