i told nate about liz’s idea of writing a devils syrup memoir, and he said, “start scribbling.” ok!
preliminary scribblings conclude the following topics to include:
- pre-devil’s syrup
- what made me go beyond slacktivism
- taking stock and grocery shopping
- surprise! X has corn syrup. why does everything have it?
- one month to one year and beyond
- social eating
- big corn – monocultures, large farms, corn subsidies – cost of corn vs. sugar
- monsanto is the devil
- but corn on the cob is corn – why do you eat that? why not eliminate all corn products? ethanol?
- gardening, food co-oops, farmers’ markets and the organic section. not to mention a quarter cow.
- don’t sweat the small stuff. its not the end of the world if you eat it.
- what the future holds – hydrogenated oil ban? no processed foods? purchasing a farm.
- the substitutes – golden syrup, pepsi throwback, cane sode, sugar, maple syrup, foreign foods
- reading labels, pre-food research, and diligence diligence diligence
- history of corn
- health benefits? weight loss? (not from corn syrup, so i took up running)
- fallbacks – cadbury minnieggs and the quest to find a british versions
- letters to corporations – i wrote to pepsi and cadbury
- and i’m sick. too much hfcs after none will do that to a person
- so i’m a hippie. and i hate being classified as one after seeing and reading about all the “modern” hippies out there.
- recipes, watch lists, reading lists.
this MIGHT be enough. now its time to organize and outline! can anyone think of something obvious i’m missing?